maybe there is a distinction between first closing all the open
documents and then closing the ddb as opposed to just closing the ddb
with the documents open

i swear that since following the above procedure i have not seen the
problem of protel still running when it is in fact not still running in
W2K
(whereas i had seen it regularly before following this procedure)

by saying this i do not mean to defend this aberrant behavior
of course at this point there will be no more SP's or fixes, we have
only Phoenix to hope and wait for (the very name is chilling in what it
portends)

today while buying another protel license i was told that Phoenix would
be shipping in Q1
i pointed out that Q1 was almost over and that i had heard no noises re
beta testing

in infoworld there was an article about certain shrink wrap licenses
(major database stuff) curtailing the discussion of performance or
benchmarking results

apparently this is being taken to court as an abridgment of free speech

if in fact phoenix is in beta and those testers have been enjoined from
at least saying that they were beta testers then perhaps there is a
potential problem there

if it is not in beta and they are still talking Q1 release then i fear
we are headed for trouble and may be enlisted as their paying beta crew

i, for one, would be more happy with substantive incremental upgrades
than these grandiose promises of all new software which will be hard to
keep

Dennis Saputelli