> At 07:01 PM 3/28/2002 +1000, Don Ingram wrote:
> >Strikes me that it would be so much easier if prottle ( on ALL of the
> >system ) followed the usual windows convention of <shift>+LMB+drag to add
> >a selection & LMB+drag to set a selection.   This way you could reliably
> >clear a selection by dragging on an empty space.
>
> However, the Protel selection scheme is useful in other ways which require
> that it have more permanence than that.
>
> The problem here is that Protel gives no warning when objects are moved
> outside the workspace, and DRC does not detect these objects. Both of
these
> should be fixed.
>
> (Being able to temporarily move parts of a selection outside the workspace
> can be useful as well, otherwise I'd suggest that it be impossible to
> accomplish this. Having the ability to place a selection even when it
> creates something outside gives more freedom in where one puts the
> selection. I've used systems that did not allow this, and I prefer the
> Protel way.)
>
> Abd ul-Rahman Lomax

I understand what you are saying, but I do wonder how much space you want
while you are moving items about; after all, 100 inches by 100 inches is a
pretty big area :) (i.e. much much larger than any PCB which I am ever
likely to be called upon to design).

IMO, there are pros and cons to having the ability to move items outside the
100" x 100" "kosher" workspace. If prohibited, user-created macros would
then have to contend with the possibility that their invocation would move
one or items outside that area, which could result in complications. OTOH,
it is not always obvious when items are outside this area, so that is the
drawback to not prohibiting this. (Maybe the user could be given the
capability to select either one option of always prohibiting such movements,
or another option of always being able to perform such movements, or yet
another option of being warned whenever a movement of one or more objects
would move one or more of those outside this area (in the event that the
user did not then abort the move command concerned).)

Having said that, given that users (currently) can move items outside this
workspace (to some extent, but not without limits), I fully concur that
netlist aspects of the PCB design should not be compromised as a consequence
of moving pads outside that area (either temporarily or otherwise).

Concerning warning users of out-of-workspace items, I recall that the AD 2.0
version of PCAD (and in all probability, various other DOS versions of PCAD
as well) set the border of the screen to a crimson (?) color whenever the
snap grid control was turned off (to alert users of that situation). In a
Windows setting, the same approach would not be appropriate, but it is still
food for thought as to how users could be alerted of the existence of
out-of-workspace items.

(Speaking personally, I try to avoid moving items out of the workspace area.
That said, there have been times when I have imported Gerber files
containing negative co-ordinates, and I have then appreciated being able to
select everything, and then move the entire contents in such a manner that
all of the items then end up within the workspace area.)

Regards,
Geoff Harland.
E-Mail Disclaimer