On 03:26 PM 27/03/2002 +0000, Paul Holland said:
>Thanks Steve, that's great advice.
>
>Paul

All the advice is certainly good.  But it does seem there is a bug
here.  DRC is reporting a validly routed net when there is in fact a
problem with the net.  Paul,  I think you should send the sample file to
Protel support. This may seem like a black-hole but our arguments about
Protel not fixing long-standing bugs are easier to maintain if we can show
real reports of real bugs - although it would be nice to think that
reporting an issue here would get some action I do not think that that will
always happen.  Better to also report, with and example file, direct to
Protel. In the meantime I will add this into the user group bug
database.  Paul, is the following a correct report?

Here is my proposed entry in the bug database:
Date: 2002/02/28
an error-free DRC with components missing from the design.
Details: PCB P99SE SP6 (? - which service pack Paul?).  If components lie
outside the Protel workspace of 0,0 to 100",100" these components can
confuse DRC into thinking that nets that are not fully routed are in fact
complete.  A error-free DRC can result when in-fact these component(s) will
not appear on the board.  One possible method that this can occur is
forgetting to clear the selection before starting a new selection and then
moving the new selection without realising that the old selection remains
selected and is moved as well. Workaround: None - but a reality check of
using Z-D or Z-A (zoom document or zoom all) will show if Protel thinks
there is anything outside the expected bounds of the PCB by displaying more
than the expected region.
Reported By: Paul Holland
Confirmed By:  <has anyone confirmed this behavior?> - if not can someone
take the time to do so.>

(I would like to think that others would be prepared to spend a little time
on this confirmation work not just the usual suspects - I could do it but I
would like to get others involved and I do spend some time on the bug
database and other stuff. If no-one else does confirm, I will do it though.)

On the issue of selection prayers.  I once was showing a colleague how I
would do some complex sort of global replace using the selection state as
one of the filters.  It involved selecting a number of different entity
types by double-clicking one example and then globally changing the
selection of those that matched certain criteria.  I had to do this for a
number of different entity types to build up the selection.  It took me
about 8 goes as somewhere along the way, without thinking about it, I would
do an X-A.  I am so used to doing X-A before a selection that automatic
mode just took over.  I had to sit there and do each keystroke very slowly
and deliberately and each mouse move very carefully, like a novice, to
break the X-A neuron path.

Ian Wilson