The best way to do this is to call your fab and ask them how they want the
information provided.

A slot, or rectangular hole, is done at the fab by using a routing bit -
usually after the board is complete, but before finish plating and
masking.  Your fab will have its own procedures and desires for setting up
board routing, countersinking, milling, etc.  If a slot is to be
plated-thru, extra fab steps are required - some of the extra steps can add
substantially to the cost of fab.

What we normally do is place an outline for the slots, or rectangular
holes, on a mechanical layer that includes a board outline.  We also place
centers to locate the slots on the same layer.  On the Drill Drawing, we
provide detailed notes on the dimensions, location, special
characteristics, and tolerances for the slots or rectangular holes.  We
provide the fab with Gerber files for the Drill Drawing, and the mechanical
layer.  If the slots are particularly large, or unusual, we call and
discuss the details with the CAM and production folks at the fab.

At 10:29 AM 6/7/02 -0400, you wrote:
>Hi
>
>I want to make rectangular holes in pads for components with metal tabs. For
>instance, a hole 40mils by 120 mils. Can this be done in Protel 99SE? BTW,
>is hole the proper nomeclature for this?
snip