I've been working with Altera tools for the last 6 years.  Altera tool are not
multi-threaded, but, like Protel, they do run more
smoothly with a dual CPU system.

The 2 main key benefits of using Altera tools, (mainly Quartus) with 2 CPUs are:

(1) If you use a multi-user network license & your server PC is also a work station,
the dual CPU will make network requests run
un-interrupted, with 1CPU, if your server-work station is compiling a complicated
design, the network license server can completely
pause for long durations.

(2) While compiling 1 design, You can simultaneously work on another design with only
a slight performance drop during design entry.
This is almost impossible to do with a 1 CPU machine.

    These 2 aspects are sort of similar to the response that Protel would give you
while you auto-route 1 PCB, you are able to get
some other work done at the same time.

System recommendations:

For Protel & Quartus setup:
(a) Optimized for speed, but only 1 cpu.
2.5 GHz P4
2 GB ram  (in the OS, set your swap file size to be fixed at 3GB).
A 350 watt power supply & case.
NVidia chipset based GF4MX, make sure it has dual head, or twin view support, in case
you ever want to use the feature in the
future. (These are the cheap ones, use only the latest drivers directly from NVidia's
web site and you will have no problems with
Protel.)
Win2K Professional (just my preference)
New Western Digital 120GB, 7200rpm with 8mb onboard cache. It's the quietest & fastest
drive for the price. (for the extra 15$, get
the 8mb cache version)
   !!!During Win2k, or WinXP installation, do a slow full format. (TRUST ME on this 1,
I don't know why, but it performs much better
once it's up & running.)

I personally like to use a MSI sis656 motherboard with a MSI GF4MX video card.  Use
the motherboard sound card.  Since MSI makes
both the Motherboard & Graphics card, the 2 together offer rock solid performance.
In the OS, disable the USB ports, use an old fashioned PS2 based keyboard & mouse.
Unless you really try something weird, you shouldn't be able to totally crash this
system.
A CDRW drive, which comes packaged with Ahead NERO CD writer software.  If you ever
install Easy CD Creator from Roxio, formerly
made by Adaptec, I will GAURANTEE mysterious system hangs when occasionally changing
CD, writing CDs, and other weird unexplained
phenomenon.

(b) Optimized for consistency of access.
dual 1.7 Ghz P4. Probably almost the same price as the a single 2.5GHz P4.
everything else should be the same.

I cant stress enough here, use Ahead NERO CD writer software.  If you ever install
Easy CD Creator from Roxio, formerly made by
Adaptec, I will GAURANTEE mysterious system hangs when occasionally changing CD,
writing CDs, and other weird unexplained
phenomenon.  It's not worth the headache!
http://www.nero.com/en/index.html#root

Brian Guralnick