Has anyone really noticed much of a difference with the newer and newer
memory bandwidths and architectures? I was thinking about this for a moment
and it occurred to me that if a given CPU has a 90+ % level 2 cache hit
success, that means <10% of the time there is a cache miss and the system is
forced to go out to the main memory for a piece of data/instruction.
Normally the cache controller is busy fetching blocks of data/instruction
independently of the CPU. If that's true, I don't see much gain even by
doubling the main memory bandwidth.

Thoughts??