And why is it that the STUPID 17 inch outdoor LCD screen at my local Wendy's
Drive thru has better contrast and color than the
indoor desktop LCD screens?  Even when the temperature is -20 outside?  (Though,
the pixel transition speed around scrolling text
begins to suffer dramatically.)

Your Wendy's has a color display, not just red letters on black? None I've been
to have more than red on black.

The Red on Black are great because they have really large pixels and they are
monochrome. The bigger the pixel the better the contrast, and with a monochrome
LCD you can get more twist to make the contrast better. Then you can put a
really bright LED backlight behind it and you have  nice outdoor display.

I've fought with trying to find a good LCD for outdoors and the best were large
character high contrast monochrome ones with LED backlight. My boss at a former
job at one point wanted to use an industrial laptop, but the guys at the
entrance to the car wash couldn't read it in the sunlight. He promptly disavowed
all knowledge of it an we got stuck trying  to make it work after everything was
installed.

* Tracking #: D479BCBBF048A649B147C4935F78D5DEB4331578