i will defer to Brian G on this except to comment that the G550 has one
VGA output and one DVI output
so assuming both monitors are analog the DVI output will need the crappy
convertor dongle and yes that does fuzz it up a bit

also as per Brian, the following is a GOOD THING:

when installing the latest driver (was beta a month ago, but works well)
first completely remove (uninstall) all dual head and matrox drivers and
revert to VGA
(one time i did not do this thoroughly with all the required reboots and
i regretted it)
when installing the new driver and dual head support say that you want
separate DIFFERENT resolutions even though you probably don't really
want that
when all done and running set them to the same res.

now the center pop up dialogs will behave much better and mostly belong
to the screen that owns them

we have about 4 ea. Hitachi monitors 19 to 21 inch and are very happy
you may want to put a 2x4 under your table!

they come in several grades for each model, get the best

Dennis Saputelli