Monitors (yuk!):

Oh boy, this is a delicate subject.

#1, Size.  From your letter, I'll bet you want at least 21 inch.  I've had more
experience with the monitors which have the damper
wires.  I've gotten stuck in a loop where these have proven to be brighter, sharper, &
affordable.  To get the shame performance out
of the standard circular grill type of picture tube typically sky-rockets the price.

My favorite choice here is the Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 2040u.  This 22 inch screen will
give you the 2048x1536 AT 75Hz.  The focus &
convergence uniformity over this entire screen from edge to edge has always impressed
me.  Especially when you consider the price of
a new one is around 1,100$, I guarantee you can't go wrong.  1 extra detail, if you
will only use 1280x1024 & don't mind a minor
loss in sharpness with this screen, manually set the R, G, B - Gains in the color
temperatures to 100%, maybe the G - at 90%, and
set the contrast to 100%.  You will have a picture so bright that you can use this
screen for cad out-doors, in direct sunlight,
with ease.  I have yet to see another screen go that bright without custom RGB video
amps & a display with smudgy focus & color
bleeding.

Monitor review:
http://www.cadalyst.com/reviews/hardware/0500monitors/mitsu.html
-notes : Best warranty
            Flattest picture

http://www.cadalyst.com/reviews/hardware/0702monitors/view.htm
-notes : Cheapest screen, 700$.
            I wouldn't recommend it for resolutions above 1280x1024.

For an LCD solution, try here: (I don't have much experience with LCD except that the
STUPID 17 inch outdoor screen at my local
Wendy's Drive thru has better contrast and color than the indoor desktop LCD screens.
Why?)

The only realistic LCD solution:
http://www.cadalyst.com/reviews/hardware/0402lcd/dell.htm

Good luck...