On Wed, 24 Jul 2002 14:28, Tony Karavidas wrote:
> OK everybody, this emoticon ;) generally means 'kidding', 'teasing',
> 'joshing', 'joking', 'pulling your leg', etc. It takes the seriousness OFF
> the preceding text.
>
> I think Ivan was 'pulling your leg'
>
> However, with 240V you probably have more electrocutions!

Hi Tony,

Not as many as you would think, but that could be due to mandatory laws
(atleast in Western Australia) for all "workplaces" to be fitted with
Residual Current Circuit Breakers (GFU's to the USA, ELCB's to "old
australians). Which makes me laugh, the AU federal government is looking at
paying stay hat home mom's a wage, this makes them workers, this then means
every wa home that has a stay at home parent a "workplace" now homes have to
have RCD's too ;o).

Also we are not allowed by law to do our own electrical work, by the strict
law, you have to atleast have a limited electrical license to change light
globes, filp a circuit breaker that has tripped, rewire a fuse, replace a
fuse cartridge. Wiring extention leads is also covered under this license as
is home made equipment not for sale (IE electronics hobby devices running off
240Vac mains)

In WA we also have a saftey watchit van from the Power Co. go to local
shopping centers, bring in damaged applices's IE cut power leads, cracked
plug tops etc and they replace them for the cost of parts only.

So all in all, We do not have that many deaths each year from electrocution.

Besides I thought it was current that killed and ours is half yours ;o) (I
know that a given voltage will cause a given current through a given
resistance so unless we are better insulators in AU (and other 240Vac places)
we would infact draw more power) I think this was the reason the UK made
factories and construction sites use 120Vac (50hz) (hey a new standard) ;o)

Regards,

Kat.

* Tracking #: A09546546457714D9BD2A390F10F0B767675F594
K.A.Q. Electronics
Software and Electronic Engineering
Perth, Western Australia
Phone +61 (0) 419 923 731