From: "Igor Gmitrovic" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Protel EDA Forum" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, July 24, 2002 12:28 AM
Subject: Re: [PEDA] Speaking of Protel Bugs.

> Ivan,
>
> Writing dates as MM/DD/YY is the same as writing time as HH:SS:MM. It does
not seem logical. There should be linear ascendence or descendence in the
order of things, IMO.

You're right, it is not logical.  But the world is illogical.

> In Australia we have 240V/50Hz. Compared to your 120V/60Hz. We could
discuss frequency, but one thing is sure, the current in your system is
twice as high as in our system. That means your losses are four times as
high. Whatever you do, you will always have higher electricity costs. It
might not seem a big to you as an individual. On a national scale, it costs
all of you a lot of dough.

Component voltage stresses are higher in 240V systems.  So components cost
more.  You need wider PCB track spacing for 240V runs.   The losses at 120V
are minimal, because it's only 120V from the transformer on the street pole
to my house or business.  The voltage up to that pole is 7200V or 14400V, I
think.  Our U.S. energy prices (except California) are probably much cheaper
than most places in the world.  My home electricity bill last month was $67
USD, and I live in hot, hot, hot Florida.  Of course, I do have a
high-efficiency heat pump (SEER 14).

> Metric system is based on a decimal numerical system, which is natural to
humans.

Not U.S. humans!  We think 12 in. to a ft., 3 ft. to a yard, 5280 ft. to a
mile, freezing water at 32 F, boiling it at 212 F is natural!  Yeah, it's
crazy...

> So we have reasons for what we are doing. What are your reasons for the
things you do? You are just used to?

Inertia.  Yep.

> Igor

* Tracking #: 4DA42B57FB220D42B10C0D6B54A07C2B4B6C22E3