I probably did not respond because I got busy doing work and deleted the message
without reading it as I do with the majority of messages on this list.

Having worked for a major PC Manufacturer it in no way surprised me that Dell
would ship an older driver. The driver they ship is what they get with
Microsofts Windows 2000, which is the one that shipped with the original OEM
Windows 2000. The only drivers they ship that are not part of Windows 2000 are
the specific ones for the hardware they add that is not included in Windows 2000
OEM edition. This is the same old driver that comes with the Windows 2000 you
buy off the shelf which if you look has not been changed in over a year.

These driver problems are precisely why Microsoft came up with the AutoUpdate
utitily. Now updates are done much easier and older drivers get updated sooner.
Since much of Protel 99 was written before wheel mice were available it
surpirsed me that it even worked at all with the wheel. Microsoft operating
systems are a constantly moving target and Iam surprised more software doesn't
break more often. When installing an Application updates system libraries you
are asking for trouble and with Windows you tend to get it.

This is why one of the first things I do with a new machine is check that the
drivers are up to date.

Rob

* Tracking #: 84BA3C93D752BC44830DA7FB0BBCAA25E7AFB6FC