Just because some software 'comes with the system' doesn't mean it's correct
or the latests. If you install Win2000 TODAY, you'll get IE4 or IE5 with it.
(I don't remember the exact version) It was current at the time of
manufacture, but it's not the latest with BUG fixes, security patches, etc.
Your mouse driver might be 'old.' What version MS mouse driver is on that
system the moment after you installed it? What version is available NOW on
the MS site??

Yeah, cars have standard equipment and car manufacturers also recall product
because it wasn't quite right. Maybe the mouse driver up until recently
wasn't quite right.