See comments added below...
----- Original Message -----
From: "Fabian Hartery" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "'Protel EDA Forum'" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, July 26, 2002 6:29 PM
Subject: Re: [PEDA] Speaking of Protel Bugs.

> Joel,
>
> I will jump in to the fire on this one to say that 99SE is completely
stable
> on my machine. On the P-CAD subject, I hate it's ridiculous library
> management regime that requires a pristene netlist before design work can
go
> to the circuit board level. The number of short cuts that must be
remembered
> to become proficent in this package is unbearable. Like Tony, I am a one
man
> designer that has to emcompass all this own design support. That is where
> the DDB design does not have me running all over the place to track the
> proper libraries with an archived design.

I am not a all-in-one, concept to design to production engineer. I am a CAD
designer with a specialty in PCB Layout. I have worked with SEVERAL non-PCB
CAD packages. NONE, that is right, NONE of which have been nearly as
tempermental as any of the PCB layout packages. Now, that having been
said... 99SE is most certainly a step (albeit a somewhat slight step) above
the package I developed my skills on, P-CAD 8.5. I am not going to go into
the facts in great detail. But only to say that 99SE has made my life easier
in some, perhaps even many regards and left me with some completely
different concerns than those I  had when using 8.5.

> When I see reports like "all was well" and then cames Protel, I kindly ask
> to see a listing of software packages that have been installed, provided
> that this comment it is not taken as a request for personal intrusion. I
> have heard of the potential for some programs to possess memory leaks and
> from writing code, I know of it's existence. So... some programs never
> really shutdown ! I can't blame Altium for someone else's slop.

As to this comment... I haven't a problem with listing the software that I
originally installed on my PC. However to question the trustworthiness of my
statement, this I find a bit insulting. To say the very least!
Prog's as follows: (in order of installation)
~Win 98SE
~Office 2000
~AutoCAD 2002
~Steinberg Cubase 5 (music creation s'ware)
~Maya
~Traktor DJ (music manipulation s'ware)
~Palm Synch
~WinMX 3.22 (PNP s'ware) before this is attacked as the problem, incoming
files are stored to CD not HD.
~Zone Alarm Pro
~Deep Paint
~Photoshop 7.0
~Acrobat 5
~WinCDR

> In a similar light, I once installed some Norton stuff. When I let it self
> configure my system for maximum performance.... it trashed my system into
> the dirt. Virus scan managers are yet another pox as they hide in sweet
> memory locations. Since Protel is a CPU intensive package, dingling around
> in the background is not appreciated by this s/w. I can make my machine
> easily hang if I keep ump-deen windows open and try to click at them as
fast
> as can. I simply chose to let Protel do it's job first.

I maintain my system myself. I know that anytime I allow a s'ware package to
configure my system it will configure with complete bias to the package that
was allow to do so. Thank you for the input nonetheless. As to keeping
windows open and the ability to make a machine hang-up... I have yet to have
to open 99SE on this PC (aside from confirming the install) and it was only
after I had installed 99SE that I got a blue screen. Argue this all you
choose. The fact remains. I could run my DJ s'ware while doing animation in
Maya without any problems. That is no longer the case. And the only thing
that changed was the addition of 99SE and SP6.

> The mouse problem stated here seems to be a Microsoft problem. Protel's
> creation was before that time. What came first ? The car or petrol ? I
> accept to get the best out of Protel I have to use compatible video cards
> and mice. When an ATI card gave me a headache, I used a Matrox G550 and
was
> laughing again. Sighhhh.... I really hate to see whining on this list.
With
> no antaganism meant, if Protel is a problem, it is only logical to try a
> different CAD package.

I have configured my work PC according to the non-standard established by
Protel and have gotten the problems to a tolerable minimum. They do exist
even after making my machine fit the s'ware.

And "whining"? Perhaps Sir, if you've elected to view my inputs as whining
instead of the original intent, (being only to share my what I have
encountered while I have been a user of a s'ware package for which we all
use and few of us understand entirely) you should look within your
understanding of the purpose of this group. Not to mention taking a closer
look at the content of my original writings.

And had I not already invested several thousand dollars and hours into this
package, then perhaps another CAD package would be the answer... But those
matters, Mr. Hartery, would in fact make such a statement on your part
completely illogical and quite unfounded. Being as you haven't the knowledge
of my system, software, ablities nor my understanding of the 99SE s'ware at
the time in which you made such a ridiculous statement. However, thank you
for your suggestion and your personal opinions as they relate to my inputs.

> I will expect DXP to have problems that will require several service packs
> to fix. I just hope that there is no cannabilizing of some advantegous
> features within 99SE like global editing. This will not be found within
> P-CAD.

As long as we are hoping... I hope DXP (just as I HAD hoped 99SE) is a lot
more like P-CAD at least in the "no major bugs and no needed work arounds"
department.

Joel