Anand,
        you are asking questions to which the answers shall be as varied as
the number of respondents. The answers will of course be based upon the
environments where the designers work. Some designers are actually EEs and
they do all the design including PCBs, some are EEs but only do the circuit
design and turn the PCB over to the PCB layout person, some are only PCB
designers that don't touch schematics at all. See the problem with an answer
to your question. There is no one answer. The responsibility will be as
equally diverse as the particular environments.

        In our shop, I am the PCB designer. I am also responsible for CAD
library generation/maintenance, schematic entry, BOM generation and PCB
design. However I do not design the circuits. The Engineers are responsible
for the overall design. Our circuits are microwave circuits so Protel is
useless for simulation or other integrity verification.

Sincerely,
Brad Velander.

Lead PCB Designer
Norsat International Inc.
Microwave Products
Tel   (604) 292-9089 (direct line)
Fax  (604) 292-9010
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.norsat.com
Norsat's Microwave Products Division has now achieved ISO 9001:2000
certification

* Tracking #: AF1C1D938208214FBB19C969E099D53FCF4343EC