I agree with you completely. Except the part about a) 3D and video games.
And b) imperial vs. metric.

a) Modern integrated product design is done with 3D assembly modeling,
period. Anything else is too risky when dealing with expensive tooling and
time to market. Take apart a cell phone sometime. Where I work, it's the PCB
designer's job to ensure that the assembly fits the enclosure constraints,
and doesn't melt the plastic off the damn thing. IMO an $8K so-called
"integrated" "complete" package (i.e. Protel) needs to deliver on its
marketing promises.

b) Metric is the internationally accepted scientific standard. Imperial is a
Luddite tactic to complicate the rest of the world's measurements, but it's
kept alive by the sheer power of the US consumption machine. SMT components
are dimensioned in metric by default, they add inch dimensions to keep
people like you from complaining. We produce our board documentation in
inches so the board houses don't get confused. Is it 0.01 mm or is it
0.010001 mm? Only your PCB package knows for sure.

Why, yes, I do feel much happier now.