----- Original Message -----
From: "Robert M. Wolfe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Protel EDA Forum" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, August 01, 2002 8:25 PM
Subject: Re: [PEDA] Not DXP or P99SE, but have you seen the Cadence offer!
!!!

> JaMi,
> I have not priced anything very recently there but, VeriBest was not
really
> origianlly Cadnetix,
> like stated Daisy hostily took over Cadnetix the Intergraph bought them
for
> a song, and it was Intergraph
> that developed VeriBest and of course now Mentor owns it all including now
> Innoveda (PADS/Viewlogic).
> some of the Cadnetix people left were involved in VeriBest's development,
as
> far as I remember.
> Expedition is now Mentor Graphics and is the VeriBest tool. It is the
> overall name of the tool series.
> There are a 2 levels of the product I think the high end version is called
> Pinnacle low end is called Ascent.
> Ascent comes in 2 layer, 4 layer, 6 layer, etc versions which means you
can
> do a 30 layer board just
> can only autoroute that # of layers simultaneously that you bought, it is
> also a bit limited with rules defiened, but all
> the Auto-Interactive routing is there in th elow end I believe.
> Check out the Mentor Graphics web site www.mentor.com  for more info. if
you
> are interested. A 2 layer Ascent is around that 10-12K number,
> it does not however come with a gerber viewer or some of the constraint
> capability for signal integrity high speed etc.
> but either way I only mentioned it because in my opinion it still has the
> best Auto-Interactive route capability I have ever
> seen, simple as that, and I have used Allegro also. I have not really used
> Mentor's BoardStation though.
> Bob

Funny - I spent the day driving down to Mentor Graphics for the OC IPC DC
Meeting, and they are going to send me the demo and details.

Anyway, you may be right, it was wierd, and I am not just sure when the
supposed break came in and the "old" Cadnatrix bunch supposedly broke away
and wrote the "new" VeriBest.

As I understood it, the original Veribest was given to the to the Cadnetix
users as an "upgrade", and it was in fact supposed tio have come from the
same sofrware team and use the same routuing "algorithims" etc., and the
"rumored brake" was due to the fact that they wanted to drop their
association with the "Bently" platform - I was working at a company which
just bought a seat of the Bently based system, and heard all of the "rumors"
from the sales people in lieu of solving "Bently related problems", as the
talked about the "stuff that was comming next year".

JaMi

* Tracking #: 817A6DB531037F469754046396B61D1DB5CE7C2F