On Thu, 1 Aug 2002 14:20:07 -0400, Watnoski, Michael wrote:
>Greetings all,
>
>    Another two cents:
>
>    Protel has been my biggest headache as far as crashes due to
>upgrades of other programs.  I would expect that if Protel needed specific
>versions of .dlls to run, it should have written them and not used the
>Microsoft versions that are likely to be updated on a regular basis.  I am

Actually, they should just put ALL their ancillary config files, required DLL's and
such in the Protel owned and created directory. End of problem. Again, not very
defensive programming practices.

DLL Sharing and extensive use of the Windows Registry looks good in theory, but in
practice on a typical Windows system "DLL Hell" rears it's ugly head in a hurry. With
disk space being almost irrelevant these days, there's no excuse to not segregate your
program and config files from the rest of the system.

Also, uninstalls become as simple as deleting the program's directory. Simple and
clean.

Matt Pobursky
Maximum Performance Systems

* Tracking #: 3A02FAD5548DDA4D84D3D083928F3ED2AD2D5BFC