The DXP list is alive and well I think, not sure why you think it's
dead. Maybe you've been kicked off! (Just kidding)

What was the file type you opened which launched DXP? I don't think it
could have been a DDB file. (I can't remember if you use DDBs or not)

How many backups do you have the system save? I think I'm set to 3
(might be default)

Why did DXP 'trash' your file? When I dbl-click on one of the 99SE
backup (the ones that are spun off to the drive as separate SCH and PCB
files) DXP does open it true, but it just opens it; it doesn't delete it
or write it, or trash it.

I'm curious as to how the trashing happened and what exactly you mean by
that.