Sounds like Murphy is one of your best friends right now. :(

You know you can drag and drop any of those backup files onto an open
DDB and view it there. I even have files on my drive that look something
like this: "Backup of Copy of mypcb.Pcb". I dragged that onto the DDB
explorer panel and it was just added to the DDB ready for editing.