I wouldn't call a simple file association change 'screwed up' or well
founded skepticism. It's a simple and common event when you upgrade
software from any company. It's also a very simple thing to change back
if you don't like it. I use 99SE and DXP on the same system without any
trouble. There doesn't appear to be any DLL sharing (or deletion when
DXP is uninstalled).