Are you referring to genuine single sided pads (e.g. surface mount pads),
or pads with holes that only exist on one side of the board?

If the former, then I can't imagine why the board shop would make the
request it did, since the pad master would be generated correctly for the
layer required. If the latter, this technology would only be used for
non-plated-through-hole boards, so the existence of imaging features on
the pad master plot would be irrelevant.

Personally, I'd go back to the board shop and ask them specifically why
they've made the request. I HATE having to do workarounds that have the
potential to support future screw-ups, which is what would happen once
you get into the habit of ignoring all warnings (or turning them off if
that's possible).

John Haddy