The pads are through hole single side only (not SMT).

This particular board I'm working on is single sided however it started out
as double sided. As things progressed I realised it would all route on a
single layer.

I can't change the layer stack manager to a single sided board (it seems to
think the top layer is being used - but it's not).

So I changed all the multilayer pads to bottom layer, hence they had to have
their plated attribute turned off.