Hi Brad,

there were cases when I had to update a pcb two or three times before it completed 
correctly. Don't know why it happened. After that the board was done without any 
further problems.



-----Original Message-----
From: Brad Velander [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, 3 October 2002 10:51 AM
To: Protel EDA Forum List Server (E-mail)
Subject: [PEDA] P99SE SP6 Problem with Update PCB generating duplicate
nets or ot her errors.

Hi all,
        I have a layout that is a little different than our norm in terms of
size and complexity. This seems to be causing some problems that I don't
normally see.

I have four schematic pages in a flat hierarchy. I have used nets and ports
global, I actually don't have any ports used at all just the netnames.
        When I run the Update PCB I get errors reported for adding nets that
already exist. If I run the update anyway I get multiple occurrences of
these nets showing up in the PCB netlist manager. The nets involved are all
nets where I have used a netname on one sheet to tie a signal to the
intended connection on the other sheet. So yes there are duplicate netnames
(the same netname) within the schematics but they are needed to provide
        What is wrong? How can I fix this?
        The first time that I ran the update, I deleted the offending net
duplications from the preview macros window. On that occasion I also got an
access violation near the end of the update process. Looking in the PCB file
I discover that the initial components have been placed by the update
function in the upper right corner as usual. However the components appear
to run right off the page past the 100 inch limit of the database. I am not
sure if anything might have been dropped because it ran past the 100 inches.
So I move the parts down close to my PCB outline and run update again. I get
the same duplicated net error but I do see some net connections being made
that obviously weren' t made during the first pass. Possibly because of the
access violation near the end of the first update?  This is not a very large
design compared to some you guys work on, is this common behaviour placing
parts out past or at least to the 100 inch limit? Is there a chance that
something is screwed because of this part loading out to or near the 100
inch limit?

        I also just tried running update again for a third time. It is still
adding 2 more net connections to device pads! Why weren't these added in
either of the two previous updates?

        I am just so leery that something is drastically wrong at the moment
and that I can't trust the database. I hope someone has had similar
experiences and has an answer or advice.

Brad Velander.

Lead PCB Designer
Norsat International Inc.
Microwave Products
Tel   (604) 292-9089 (direct line)
Fax  (604) 292-9010
Norsat's Microwave Products Division has now achieved ISO 9001:2000

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
* To post a message: mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
* To leave this list visit:
* http://www.techservinc.com/protelusers/leave.html
* Contact the list manager:
* Forum Guidelines Rules:
* http://www.techservinc.com/protelusers/forumrules.html
* Browse or Search previous postings:
* http://www.mail-archive.com/proteledaforum@techservinc.com
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Reply via email to