>    Duplicate designators aren't an issue unless they have some manner of
>getting past the ERC check for that situation.

Duplicate pin number errors are not always caught at the schematic
level ERC and can cause the alternating net connection on update.
Seems an unlikely cause since you have 14 nets toggling.

Did you catch all of the components that were placed off the work space?
I have had strange update errors with components located very far below
the absolute origin. Never have figured out how they get placed there.

Brock