Sorry about this late reply

Thanks Brad

I am a programmer and I wasn't aware that protel was using ODBC to access
"access" db's and quite frankly I'm shocked...

It appears to be an access 97 db (I don't know what they're using now in
DXP) and considering the performance penalties that software has to pay for
using ODBC (as it is a set of generic functions that can be used to access
odbc compliant databases) I am at a loss as to why they' ve taken this
route.
Access 97 used what was known as DAO (data access objects which is the "Jet"
engine) and it contained functions (DAO350.dll) specific to this type of
data base, it contained a heap of dao specific functions which made
searching, traversing and manipulating records and db's a breeze. MS now
uses what's known as ADO(activeX data objects or OLE db) which is an
expansion of the ODBC ideology with the addition of OLE.

In the DAO development kit it advises against using ODBC as it's access
speed to the db as half that of DAO.
I tried running complicated SQL statements using DAO, ODBC and ADO against a
DAO database and DAO beat them all by a difference of "Minutes!!"

Perhaps I shouldn't be shocked... after all these are ppl who are using
Delphi, and one only has to look at how they search for library components
in their databases in 99SE. If they had any idea about databases they would
connect to there dbb's and run an sql statement against the db and produce a
list of matches in 1/10th the time it takes that search function of theirs.

I hope I haven't upset to many people with my rhetoric 8-)

Alfonso Baz