You don't need to use access, just use Protel...

1st: TAKE A BACKUP OF YOUR DATABASE, I have known this to go wrong on low
memory machines.

(I've no idea why this is so hidden)

In the design explorer, with ALL DOCUMENTS CLOSED there is a downward
pointing arrow in the menu bar
at the top right.

Click on this, select Design Utilities, then select compact or repair, I
suggest repair, followed by compact.

Select the database file you want to work on, then press OK.

Database will shrink hugely.

We do this almost every day.

There is an option to compact on close, but if you swap design files lots,
this can be annoying because of the delay.

Jason.