Thanks for responding.  I see several responses but yours is
the first, Brad, so I'll answer what I can and then I have a
meeting and will be back in a couple hours.

I do have the compress utility activated.  I meant to say
that in the first post but forgot.  Also, I'm running Windows
2000 and Protel 99SE with the latest service pack.  The
previous database was slightly over a GB.  However, I would
again note that after trashing many huge mechanical layers
in order to save it now, I believe the file size it's trying
to save is probably a quarter of that size.

Personally, I think it's filled up something dynamically and
no amount of simple paring away is going to fix it now that
it's hit the overflow button.

The DDB has a modest 6 page schematic, and I think I have
about 4 different versions of the PCB in it.  A very small
component and footprint library and that's it.  The board
is 12 layers, and really pretty modest, just a few connectors
and maybe 600 traces that would break down to maybe 4000
trace segments (does that make sense?  I'm not very good at
the terminology, but I've noticed that every time you turn
a corner on a trace, it creates a new section.  I learned
that when I was messing with the guard traces and trying to
assign nets to them.)

Thanks, miker

Michael,
        sounds like either you still don't have the compress on close turned
on, or possibly at a database size that big the compress function starts to
fail. I might suggest that you try running the repair facility on a copy of
the DDB see what that does.
        How big is the DDB file? What have you got inside the DDB, besides
this board you were working on? How big is this board (size, layers,
component, net counts)?

Sincerely,
Brad Velander.

Lead PCB Designer
Norsat International Inc.
Microwave Products
Tel   (604) 292-9089 (direct line)
Fax  (604) 292-9010
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.norsat.com
Norsat's Microwave Products Division has now achieved ISO 9001:2000
certification