> > From: JaMi Smith [mailto:jamismith@;sbcglobal.net]
>
> > With that, I will pose 3 questions to the forum.
> >
> > 1. Should I install an anti-virus program?
> >
> I think so. You already own it, and have had it installed on your machine
> before. and its better to have protection on a machine than not these
days.

> If worst comes to worst you'll have to reinstall Windows again. but having
> just done it, you've probably got all your discs still out, so it won't
take
> that long.

Try it once, if you can ascertain that it is the AV program causing the
instability, then chuck it and don't worry about installing another.
Remember that virus scanners (or antivirus programs) are for software that
you download and attempt to run that contain viruses, so called hackers
won't be affected by antivirus programs and would still be able to get into
your system on any open port...  However...
This is a gimme if you're running a NAT router, as then your machines
presumably don't have unique IP addresses (ie they are either 10.x or
192.168.x addresses), in which case you don't really have to worry about
hackers at all (or viruses if you don't run downloaded executables).