Bevan

Please see below,

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bevan Weiss" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Protel EDA Forum" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, November 11, 2002 10:55 PM
Subject: Re: [PEDA] Antivirus Software & Memory Issues

~ ~ ~

>> Remember that virus scanners (or antivirus programs) are for software
that
> you download and attempt to run that contain viruses, so called hackers
> won't be affected by antivirus programs and would still be able to get
into
> your system on any open port...  However...
> This is a gimme if you're running a NAT router, as then your machines
> presumably don't have unique IP addresses (ie they are either 10.x or
> 192.168.x addresses), in which case you don't really have to worry about
> hackers at all (or viruses if you don't run downloaded executables).

I have a D-Link DI-804 "Router" between my DSL Modem and all of my other
machines, which has 4 ports. It is supposed too have a "firewall" built in
to it, and the "address" above (192.168 ...) sounds familiar (although I
cant find the manual on it right now).

I know that this thing is supposed to "protect"  me from "direct access",
but I don't want to "presume" too much or rely on it protecting me when I am
in the middle of a big project in 99SE and need to download a PDF from a
supplier, only ro have the system attacked and loose 3 days (or more) on the
project. I really am not sure at all how much this "firewall" really
protects me (or how much is advertising smoke and mirriors).

I specifically do not receive any email on this system, and do most of my
"downloads" from the net on another system, but the different systems are
still connected together on this side of the "router", so I don't want to
take any chances.

Thanks,

JaMi