> Firstly ALWAYS run anti-virus software.. either that or shut down your
email
> both will do the same job.
I don't get the people that can state this with such certainty.  I refuse to
run an antivirus program on my computer, however have shut down all the
'bonus' features of Outlook so that all emails are opened in a completely
restricted zone and have all the latest patches installed (as per windows
update anyway).  I've never run into any problems with viruses... (as of
yet...)

> Norton AV doesn't cause any instabilities under win2k, I've been running
NT
> and now 2k without a single hitch and Protel 99SE is just fine..
>
> always have email scanning on by default, I've had quite a number of
viruses
> delivered from silly people on this group.  The are silly because they get
> viruses.
>
> Don't use MS outlook if you can help it.. I use Pegasus for my main email
> and outlook for this news group.. but Norton has always picked the viruses
> first.
>
> if you hear of a virus alert, update you AV software before reading your
> email.
>
> update you AV at least once a week.. my work updates daily and is still
> virus free.. even if we do get 4 or 5 attempts a month.
>
> last .. expect virus .. they are there .. they will hurt .. and they pray
on
> people who decide to uninstall antivirus software.
>
> also have a look at Zone Alarm firewall

This depends on whether he is running a NAT DSL router or whether he is just
using a computer connected via a DSL modem to the internet.  If he's using a
NAT DSL router, then the effort of connecting a computer up in the DMZ of
his local network (ie such that all unallocated port requests go to that
server) opens the network up to far more risk than if he just left an
explicit firewall off in the first place.