Firstly ALWAYS run anti-virus software.. either that or shut down your email
both will do the same job.

Norton AV doesn't cause any instabilities under win2k, I've been running NT
and now 2k without a single hitch and Protel 99SE is just fine..

always have email scanning on by default, I've had quite a number of viruses
delivered from silly people on this group.  The are silly because they get
viruses.

Don't use MS outlook if you can help it.. I use Pegasus for my main email
and outlook for this news group.. but Norton has always picked the viruses
first.

if you hear of a virus alert, update you AV software before reading your
email.

update you AV at least once a week.. my work updates daily and is still
virus free.. even if we do get 4 or 5 attempts a month.

last .. expect virus .. they are there .. they will hurt .. and they pray on
people who decide to uninstall antivirus software.

also have a look at Zone Alarm firewall

Simon

PS.. I've been on the internet since gopher was the greatest thing since
sliced bread.. and have never had a virus installed or affect my machines..
but Pegasus did store one once.. it never run because Pegasus doesn't have
the holes outlook does.  Norton found it and removed it when I swapped
processors and was transferring emails.