With that, I will pose 3 questions to the forum.

1. Should I install an anti-virus program?

2. If so, which anti-virus software should I use?

3. Has anyone experienced any problems with any specific anti-virus software
causing problems with Protel (99SE or DXP)?
I have run Norton AntiVirus against Protel for a few versions now (including under 98 as well as 2K and XP) and have yet to have any correlated problems between the two.

(I DID have a similar problem to yours, however, after upgrading my RAM and installing a new video card... Protel would just randomly lock the entire computer up when working on things like schematic editing, at seemingly random times. This turned out to be completely cleared up by an update to my video drivers, however. Looking on ATI's site, it seems a similar lockup problem was happening to other applications with this particular card (ATI Radeon 9000 Pro - wonderfully affordable dual-head AGP; works marvelously!) however this fix was after a lot of memory-stick shuffle and a reinstall of the OS! Perfectly stable now, though)

If you have a fairly fast network (i.e. 100baseT between systems) an option I have used before in the past is to map some shared network drives, and then to let another computer with the virus software scan other drives over the network. Granted it's generally a lot slower this way, but at the same time, you can always schedule it to do the scans late at night when the system/network isn't being heavily used.

Glad to hear you finally got your problem mostly sorted out, though! System crashes/lockups are one of the only things that truly cause me to blow my top; I'm generally an extremely calm and layed-back person. *laugh*

Best Regards,
-- Matt