> were generally flawless.    The reason I did this reinstall is because I
had
> virus and after spending some time hunting it down,  it was quicker for me
> to reformat my drive,  then re load software .

Mike:

1) What virus did your PC get?
2) What were the symptoms?
3) How did you get it?

Just curious.  I want to know if it's something to watch out for.

If it's the latest gaping security hole in IE (trojan signed ActiveX
controls), then I recommend you switch to some other browser, such as
Mozilla.  I started using Mozilla about 4 months ago and it rocks, I haven't
used IE since.  Mozilla doesn't do ActiveX, so it is not at risk.  I still
haven't switched e-mail from OE to Mozilla yet.  I tried, but there is a bug
in the e-mail import that can't seem to handle 1000's of messages without
crashing.  I have heard others advocate Eudora for e-mail, but I also heard
that Eudora still uses IE to render HTML e-mail (evil!), so the IE security
risk would still remain.

Other Mozilla advantages:  tabbed browsing, pop-up ad blocker.  Great
features!

How did computers get so unsecure?  It seems like the software "advances" of
the last decade were all about making computers less secure!  What's next,
unsecure hardware?  I can see it now:  "Announcing LawnPC, the first PC that
doesn't clutter your house!  You can just leave it in the yard.  Solar
powered see-through case, wireless networking, no messy cables!  And forget
passwords - you don't need them with LawnPC!  No installation required -
weighs only 30 lbs., just place it in a wide open sunny spot in your front
yard and you're done!  Available in these bright showy colors: orange,
yellow, red, green, purple, blue".

Sorry for OT, but this is crucial.  I don't want to have to re-format and
re-install Protel either!

Best regards,
Ivan Baggett
Bagotronix Inc.