Okay, call me dumb, but I am having a hard time understanding how the DRC
even comes into play, since the clearance constraint is, by definition, a
constraint on copper layers only. Since the silkscreen is not a copper
layer, the clearance constraint shouldn't even be invoked...

What am I missing in this "equation"?
The Component Clearance rules are separate from the copper clearance rules.

Design Rules/Placement/Component Clearance Constraint.

It is an example of where the feature was pretty obviously not run through extensive testing with real designers before being frozen. There were several possible solutions, not at all difficult, I'd think, but they didn't do it. This should have been fixed by SP6....

My solution to this problem, since Protel component clearance checking is too defective to use, unless one specially designs footprints (i.e., footprints with the outline retracted sufficiently so that the *outside*, not centerline, of the outline is at minimum clearance -- I haven't done this, but it should work, maybe one would have to retract another mil....), I disable the component clearance checking.

(uncheck the "Enabled" box for all clearance rules that can cause problems, i.e., that will generate phony errors.)