Matt Polak wrote:

At 10:57 AM 6/3/2003 +0930, you wrote:

Michael

The "text book" standard that is

1    signal
2    gnd
3    signal
4    gnd
5    pwr
6    signal
7    pwr
8    signal

thou never actually using 8 layers this is all i can give you. Hope it helps.

Out of curiosity, what is the typical textbook stackup for a six-layer board? Do you typically have two signal, two power, two ground planes, or can you have, say, three signals layers and two power and one ground plane? i.e.

1. signal
2. gnd
3. pwr
4. signal
5. pwr
6. signal

I would imagine this should be fine if there are no plane splits, save for possibly some on 3, since all signal layers would be directly adjacent to at least one unbroken plane... Or is my thinking flawed on this? Four layer is easy, and eight makes sense... But how do you typically work up the more oddball ones like six or ten or (shudder) even twenty two? I am looking at a design now that I think will probably require at least three signal layers to route, but I think an eight-layer board would be something of an overkill and would like to stick to six.

How do folks typically deal with distributing power to parts that require separate core and I/O, maybe different cores for different parts on the board? For instance, multiple FPGAs that require a 2.5v core and 3.3v IO, and a DSP which requires a 1.8v core and 3.3v IO? Obviously 3.3v should probably have it's own power plane across the board, but can you take an inner power layer (like #3 in the above example) and split it between 1.8v and 2.5v as needed to source the core voltages as and where needed?

I've done four layer boards fine this far; my approach (under QFP FPGAs that required 2.5v core and 3.3v IO) was to pour a polygon-plane on the top signal layer under the chip, and to connect this to all of the necessary pins, decouple the living daylights out of it, and then run a very fat trace on the back of the board over to the 2.5v regulator. It seems to have worked just fine on the latest run of boards - very clean power being supplied to all of the core pins - but I'm always interested in other's approaches that may be better suited to these kinds of situations.

Someone really needs to write a modern 'style guide' to multilayer PCB layout, y'know? Not just the math and theory covered in several of the better books out there, but one also covering component layout techniques, approaches to signal and bus routing, shapes and patterns of via layout for moving busses from one layer to the other nicely, how to route *special* signals (differential, controlled impedance, matched length, etc), how to efficiently break out BGAs, and so forth. Certainly would make life a little easier for us newbies! :D

Regards,
-- Matt

the main issue with an odd number of plane is the PCB becomes unbalenced and so is more likely to warp. with the 6 layer setup suggested this should not be to bad but could cause issues, particularly if the middle sugnal layer is lightly used. If you are using a layup where you have an od number of planes then it can often be worth adding some ground flods to the appropriate signal layer to help with the copper balence