> Or, improve on the motherboard chipset heatsink.  This problem only
reveals
> itself in the warmest of summer months.  AC doesn't seem to help, don't
know
> why.  Maybe it's humidity & barometric pressure.

What a robust design - NOT!!!

I have an Asus twin-PIII mobo (CUV4X, IIRC).  It works fine even when the
office is hot and humid (after a weekend of not running the office A/C).

Perhaps an ACPI problem?  One of my regular customers just had to patch his
BIOS to fix yet another ACPI problem with XP.  He uses a dual-PIII, same
Asus mobo I do.  Asus should have an ACPI patch for it.  Worth a try?

A side note:  I have NEVER seen a desktop PC where power management worked
correctly with no bugs.  I switch all those power management features off so
they won't crash or hang the PC.

Anyone remember Microsoft's OnNow ?  It was an attempt to make PCs boot
quickly, within seconds.  I guess they figured out it was too difficult to
get everyone to comply to the specs necessary to make it happen, so it faded
away.  Plus, too much cruft and fragmentation would build up in memory in
the same boot session anyway, necessitating a reboot if the Blue Screen of
Death didn't get you first!  OnNow:  an idea whose time has come.  And
gone...

Best regards,
Ivan Baggett
Bagotronix Inc.