> 1) You may have a boot sector virus, or perhaps some other wacky software
> has installed data or code in your master boot record (on the C: drive).

Correct, but if you don't have fdisk, the other way to fix the MBR:

Install Win right from the CD, when your are given the chance to select a
drive to install on, select 'delete partition', create partition, then do a
full format, not a quick one.

Note: this will KILL everything on your drive.

Brian Guralnick