In a message dated 10/3/2003 11:46:38 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

>    I thought that you were suggesting that you closed the DDBs prior to
> closing P99SE but just wasn't sure. I still don't quite understand your comment
> about closing design utilities between compresses. I don't understand what
> precisely you mean by closing design utilities, do you mean specific servers
> that you may have open while working on a specific DDB?
>     Has anybody tried running the repair utility on these problematic DDBs?
> Did it help?

I haven't tried that, but here's where I am now with this problem. I
discovered that if I set Protel for manual compacting, it of course closes much
quicker and more cleanly. If I then manually compact a database and it hangs, there
is usually the compacted copy out there, as <original filename>(Compacted
1).ddb. I then rename the original (as a backup), and rename the new one as the
original. Back to work, and everything seems happy. I haven't yet tried
reenabling automatic compacting with those recovered databases, but it appears that
the compacting proceeds fully, and Protel somehow gets wrapped around the axle
after closing the output file.

Steve Hendrix