> so the bottom line is that it would be nice if there were some
> 'standard' way to have this in the electronic file that did
> not rely so much on operator skills and reading ability
> both of which are on downward trends
>
> doesn't the excellon format support slots?

Dennis,
Well that basically this is already happening.
Either IPC's GenCam (industry owned standard) or Valor's
ODB++ are means by which one should be able to capture
ALL design intent in one file structure by which the particular
vendor can extract their part as needed.
I am not 100% sure ODB++'s intend is, but I do know the
intent of GenCam is to do just that. Whether it be a stack-up,
impedance control, copper weight, hole type etc, should be able to
be transfered electronically, so any Fab House CAM system
can bring the data in and run with it.

Now the hitch is alot of our CAD vendors are dropping the
ball on this. ALL of the CAM vendors are ready and waiting
to take your files in this way. Some CAD vendors have
embraced Valor's solution, Some IPC's and some both,
but each still has its problems.

But I would sincerely hope in the near future for this
to happen.

IPC the industry owns, whereas ODB++ one company Valor owns.
Not going to judge either, just REALLY wish one would become the defacto
standard like gerber did.

Bob Wolfe