Abd and the Forum,

What I perceive from my original reading of the announcement is that
Protel / Altium is going to drop DXP and nVisage DXP (DXPnV), and
replace it with a new product, Protel 2004 (P04), which will be given to
all current DXP and DXPnV (collectively "DXP(nV)" ) license holders,
free of charge.

Although the announcement doesn't specifically say it, I feel that
between the lines it is saying that all support for DXP(nV) will now
cease entirely, and current DXP(nV) license holders will now be given a
new product, P04, in lieu of any further support, and specifically in
lieu of any further Service Packs.

In this regard, I also have a sinking feeling that since P04 is
supposedly a "new" product, or shall we say a "different" product, that
Protel / Altium can and will claim to have no further necessity to
support any current DXP(nV) licensees beyond simply replacing DXP(nV)
with P04, whether it works or not, and that they will not receive any
further support without paying for it.

Back to the issue of Service Pack 3 for DXP(nV). It appears (or should I
say that I perceive) that in order for Protel / Altium to proceed any
further on fixing the problems by issuing a real SP3 (beyond the two
"pre" releases of SP3) for DXP(nV), that they had to fix  enough things
that they have actually changed or altered things enough to call it (or
make it) a new product.

Ok, so where does that leave us now?

It firstly appears that this is Protel / Altiums way of answering all of
the people in the DXP Technical Forum who have been screaming for
Service Pack 3, which is long long over due, by saying that they will
get a new product (P04) in lieu of any further support of DXP(nV), which
will be here until the first quarter of next year ("Q1, 2004"), which
realistically means the end of March (4 months away), if they do not
slip the release date (and when have we not seen that happen?).

Secondly, this appears (or I should probably again say that "I perceive"
that this appears) to leave DXP(nV) licensees and users in a position
that any and all of their training is now "down the tube" and wasted,
and that the new P04 product is again going to be quite different in its
operation, and going require that everyone will have to jump thru an
entirely new training "hoop". The real question here is whether or not
those who have already paid for DXP(nV) training will get free training
on the new P04, or whether they will have to pay cold hard cash to get
trained anew on P04. In other words, have they thrown their time and
money away.

This brings us a very very large issue which I will not digress into
here, and that is whether or not all investments in learning and using
DXP(nV) will have been wasted. For example, will designs done in
DXP(nV), and such things as library components, be compatible with P04?

Here I might speculate that Protel 2004 will be more along the lines of
Protel 99 SE than DXP in its operation. Could it just be that Protel /
Altium has realized that they have gone down the wrong road in their
design of DXP(nV), and that too many people have complained about its
operation (not to mention the training and learning curve), and that
they realize that no one wants to buy the beast beyond those people who
have blindly upgraded to it.

Again, I would refer all to the original announcement by Protel /
Altium, and if they were not a recipient on the original mailing, then
see my original post here which contains the original announcement at
the bottom.

What this announcement by Protel / Altium seems to be saying is that "we
cant fix DXP(nV), so we are going to replace it, but don't worry, we
will replace it for free".

Where does that leave the people who have bought into DXP(nV), and have
been struggling to learn how to use it for the last year, and have
already made the transition to it.

It appears that what Protel / Altium may be really saying in this
announcement is that they want all of the DXP(nV) licensees and users to
hold on for another 4, or 5, or 6, or 10 months, or a year, so that they
can give you a new product which actually will work (wiahful thinking?),
which will replace their DXP(nV) blunder.

I think that this announcement by Protel / Altium, and more specifically
this "move" underlying the announcement, is designed soley to stall and
pacify all of the DXP(nV) licensees and users, while they change
directions and try to go unnoticed as they try to climb out of the hole
that they dug for themselves.

To this I once again say, what the @$#% is going on, and what the @$#%
are all of the DXP(nV) licensees and users supposed to do in the
meantime?

Forgive me, but to me it appears that this announcement and the apparent
(or should I say possible) "move" underlying it, seems to be made simply
to prevent losing customers to other EDA products, and more
specifically, prevent those licensees from demanding not only their
money back, but more money in the form of damages due to the time and
expense of converting all of their existing designs to another EDA
product (yes, that is legally possible under California law which covers
the DXP(nV) License, but again please not let us digress or argue this
issue (at least at this point) as it takes us away from what is really
going on here).

So what's the "Bottom Line" here?

I think that current DXP(nV) Licensees need to really stop and ask what
Protel / Altium is really saying here, and what it means to their own
productivity, and whether or not it is wise to continue down the Protel
/ Altium "yellow brick road" to the "land of Oz", the land of "promised
future productivity".

I think that it is time once again for us to request, no, demand, some
real answers from Protel / Altium as to what is really happening and
going on here.

I would say at this juncture that what we all need to do on an
individual basis is to evaluate just what the real hidden meaning of
this announcement is, and decide whether or not we should proceede for
yet another day to put more time and money, in the form of designs and
training, into this bottomless "money pit" called DXP(nV), which which
it appears is being dropped by Protel / Altium themselves..

The bottom line is that I think that at this point in time Protel /
Altium needs to give us some real reasons not to simply pack it in and
dump them as a provider of EDA Software.

Please see below for further comments:

JaMi