From: Hamid A. Wasti [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, 22 December 2003 8:05 AM
To: Protel EDA Forum
Subject: Re: [PEDA] What could we expect in next Altium EDA tools?

Dennis Saputelli wrote:

>So Hamid, are you going to give Protel 2004 a spin
>when it is released?

If it is indeed free and I have time.

>it appears that the PCB side will essentially be DXP SP3

There you go believing the guys at Altium again.  What next?  Are you
now going to start believing things that come out of the mouths of
politicians?

>and as Ivan has asked have you identified a competitive alternative
>for you and your customers?

And as I answered in a previous post, I am not in the business of
helping customers find alternatives.  I tell them that this is the CAD
system that their product is being developed in and if they want to buy
this CAD system, I will support them in learning it.  In the past, the
only option that was presented was the latest version of Protel which
the customers invariably bought.  Today, the only option is the dead end
version of Protel (99SE), which I will be happy to support them in , but
they would be crazy to buy (if it is even available for sale).  As for
the specifics of the specific cases cited; one client may teach us their
system (I have no idea what they use) while the other client is still
deciding what they want to use.

>but at some point i guess we will need to either jump ship or
>bite the bullet (hey! 2 cliches in one sentence)

As for our own company use, my first choice would be to jump ship.  I
would rather take my chances with a company that I do not know than
stick with the one I do know, because I know how bad they are.

>the years of work in the libraries form a sort of trap, i
>wouldn't relish having to recreate all those parts

Libraries are a huge investment.  However, if you are gaining
productivity by going to a different software, you will come out ahead
in the long run.

Hamid

visit http://www.mci.com