Dennis Saputelli wrote:

So Hamid, are you going to give Protel 2004 a spin when it is released?

If it is indeed free and I have time.

it appears that the PCB side will essentially be DXP SP3

There you go believing the guys at Altium again. What next? Are you now going to start believing things that come out of the mouths of politicians?

and as Ivan has asked have you identified a competitive alternative for you and your customers?

And as I answered in a previous post, I am not in the business of helping customers find alternatives. I tell them that this is the CAD system that their product is being developed in and if they want to buy this CAD system, I will support them in learning it. In the past, the only option that was presented was the latest version of Protel which the customers invariably bought. Today, the only option is the dead end version of Protel (99SE), which I will be happy to support them in , but they would be crazy to buy (if it is even available for sale). As for the specifics of the specific cases cited; one client may teach us their system (I have no idea what they use) while the other client is still deciding what they want to use.

but at some point i guess we will need to either jump ship or
bite the bullet (hey! 2 cliches in one sentence)

As for our own company use, my first choice would be to jump ship. I would rather take my chances with a company that I do not know than stick with the one I do know, because I know how bad they are.

the years of work in the libraries form a sort of trap, i wouldn't relish having to recreate all those parts

Libraries are a huge investment. However, if you are gaining productivity by going to a different software, you will come out ahead in the long run.

Hamid