So Hamid, are you going to give Protel 2004 a spin
when it is released?

it appears that the PCB side will essentially be DXP SP3

and as Ivan has asked have you identified a competitive alternative
for you and your customers?

we have 2 seats here and also have yet to embrace DXP

but at some point i guess we will need to either jump ship or
bite the bullet (hey! 2 cliches in one sentence)

the years of work in the libraries form a sort of trap, i
wouldn't relish having to recreate all those parts

TIA for any info

Dennis Saputelli

"Hamid A. Wasti" wrote:

> Bagotronix Tech Support wrote:
>
> >What did you tell them to
> >buy instead of DXP?  Could they still buy 99SE, or did you recommend some
> >other brand?
> >
> When we do large product development projects for our clients, we
> deliver the board files only in Protel format.  If the client wants to
> make changes in house with our support, they need to purchase Protel and
> we make a commitment to teach & support them.  Over the years we have
> been directly responsible for the sale of several seats this way and
> indirect responsible for the sale of several more because after
> acquiring in-house expertise, the company decided to increase the number
> of seats.
>
> As for the canceled sales, we struck a deal with one client for them to
> teach us their CAD system.  In another case, the client is still trying
> to decide what CAD system to get, as we have made it clear that we will
> not be supporting DXP and understandably they do not want to buy a dead
> end product like 99SE
>
> > I don't mean to sound negative, but these issues are important, and I'm not
> > going to get excited over Nexar and LiveDesign until I see answers to these
> > questions.
>
> Those issues are indeed important, but there is a more fundamental
> issue:  Will the product actually work, or will it be a waste of your
> time and money?  Considering Altium's recent history, you would be lucky
> if you get the point of actually having to realistically worry about the
> issues you mentioned in your post.
>
> Hamid

Integrated Controls, Inc.           Tel: 415-647-0480  EXT 107
2851 21st Street                    Fax: 415-647-3003
San Francisco, CA 94110             www.integratedcontrolsinc.com