Ha ha ha..  Now that's funny.

Here's an opinion from a dinosaur.  Probably at least 10 to 20
hours to learn the basic elements of the new system (XP) and
unlearn the features of the old one.  At $85/Hr that could be
$1700 plus of course the upgrade price of $3000 so we're up to
$4700.   Now if I want to take $5 per hour from each productive
hour and allocate it to upgrades as opposed to profit,  then I
have to work, using the new system, for 940 hours of essentially
full time billable hours doing layout and design, (for 1/2
year), before I see that extra $5/hr back as profit.  If I don't
upgrade to XP I have an extra $4700 at the end of that 1/2 year.

However,  I probably only do 200 hours per year of actual layout
and schematic design,  the rest is consulting, and software and
accounting and sales etc.  So it would take me almost 5 years
before I start seeing my $5/hour as profit again.  Oops.  In 3
years it's time for PROTEL QP (or whatever) as a $3000 (not
upgrade or bug fix of course) enhancement to Protel XP.

Nine years ago,  I bought the top line 3HP Delta Table saw for
just over $1000.  I've haven't received emails from Delta
suggesting that my table saw is out of date and that I should
replace it every 3 years or so.  And none of my friends or
clients suggest I'm a dinosaur because I think a tool like a
tablesaw (and Protel is just a tool) should be replaced every 3
years just because a newer model is available.  And if Delta
produced a saw that went out of alignment and wasn't as usable
after 3 years,  my next purchase probably wouldn't be Delta.

So am I an dinosaur,  or just someone who hasn't got a sugar
daddy company buying me new tools whenever they show up because
they're cool?

I'll be the dinosaur thanks.

John Dammeyer

Schematic?

> I'm doing quite nicely Joe, thanks for asking
>
> Never left, nor do I intend to, I am fascinated by the people
> who choose not
> to update to DXP2004, are they ostrich's or dinosours? Or
> Dodo bird. That is
> what I want to know. I installed DXP 2004 a month ago, like
> it much better
> than DXP but still glad I am paid by the hour.
>
> increased work has not kept me from enjoying sailing on
Thursdays and