Darren

Although I have an office at home and I do work from here sometimes this is due to
personal
responsibilities at home which restrict my office availability even although it is
only a few miles
away.

I am a salaried person but also a shareholder in the company I work for. Have been
here since 1987
full time and worked with more or less the same people for over 20 years. As part of a
team I have
to rely on others and they rely on me, no room for slacking, we are all each others
motivator/managers.

I get calls every day from contract companies and contactors looking for work, I trash
some as they
are asking for too little, I trash others for asking for over inflated rates and under
inflated CV.
As yet I have not found one yet that would justify the rates or investment in my time
to get their
work practices licked into shape.

Contracting is a bloody tough game to be in and can sometimes be seriously depressing
as I have seen
good, skilful guys see it as 'escaping the leash' and have had their efforts thwarted
by nothing
more than their own lack of skills in marketing and selling themselves or identifying
companies with
skill gaps they can fill at the right price, and exploiting those needs correctly (to
both parties
benefit, the secret of longevity).
I have seen others who could sell snow to Eskimos and very poor skills indeed, these
guys do very
well, but tend to 'milk the cow dry' every chance they get and then look for another
cow. S...
Floats as they say.
In this respect the IPC certification programs which list engineers is something I
like very much,
it's a pity is not a requirement every say 2 years or so to keep it valid, it would
weed out a lot
of the bogus CV entries I have found!

Some of the people I would like I would have to 'head hunt' from other companies.

Most of the external work I do is part of a symbiotic relationship with companies we
have licensed
out reference designs or embedded applications to, they use us as their R&D and we use
them for
sales, marketing and distribution of products. Although we manufacture our own designs
for some
people we do not employ any sales or marketing staff at all. This relationship has
extended over the
past 5-7 years to include work on pre release silicon from some of our suppliers, not
customers, for
the TV sector including test boards for devices pending tape out, recommendations on
pin-outs for
the IC so that end clients can rout complex devices on min layer counts and some BGA
work.

This if done as a contract job would be enough to sustain perhaps 1 - 1 1/2 people
(volunteers for
the 1/2 ?? :-) ) but the travelling and moving/shaking involved in keeping it is
difficult.

If you are considering it make sure you get plenty leads and some commitment from
companies up
front, do not be too fussy on the type of work, bread and butter stuff.....

I hope no-one who does contract work takes too much of my pessimistic look at
contacting in the
wrong way, not all contractors fit into the 2 categories I have painted above and
perhaps they can
give you a bit more of a real insight into the 'game' than I can.

John