Dennis

Not quite sure what you mean here.

I tried what I think you were describing quickly on a board here. I
picked a 0603 part, changed the value in the footprint field to 0805,
clicked global (footprint already checked) and set the combo box to
footprint=same, clicked OK and all 202 items were changed OK.

If I change the footprint field to a value which does not represent a
valid footprint name in the library, then I see a global change in the
footprint name according to the selection and no footprint change is
applied, but I get a warning for every update instance that fails
(footprint not in library), you don't mention a warning, and you state
you used a valid footprint name, so I guess this is not the same as you
are seeing.

But I have seen some very strange behaviour with differences with the
loaded (cached) library and the actual library where you have to
drop/reload the library to update it. Not sure 'where' the actual pcb
being edited 'looks' for the valid footprint but I would guess it would
be the cached one so if the new valid footprint was added after the
library was added/cached to the PCB editor then something like this
could be possible I guess

Do not know if this helps you any.

John