Leo

What I mean is that if a new component is added to the library, on the
fly, it does not appear until the library is reloaded.

Just clicking on the navigator pane in the PCB editor does not work for
me, never has.

So I open my PCB for edit, it has the default MYLIB loaded.
First part in that list is 0402,
so I place that on the PCB.
I want to create a new footprint,
so quick way to open MYLIB is simply to click EDIT in the navigator
panel
The library editor is now opened.
So I highlight 0402 in the lib editor navigator panel,
right click, copy then paste the new footprint into the library,
rename the new 0402-DUPLICATE to 0402-2.
Save MYLIB.
If I go to the PCB editor now, and click the navigator panel as you
suggest, the footprint 0402-2 is not available. It only becomes
available when the library is removed/reloaded.

I can switch back/forward without problem for footprints that exist
already in the library, parts created on the fly never seem to appear
without a reload of the library.

Anything I missed above?

John