In the case of this new orcad feature you specifically do it
'outside' of the graphical sch
you point to sheets and it gathers a properties page
kind of like a batch process

ds

Ian Wilson wrote:

> On 10:31 AM 11/08/2004, Dennis Saputelli said:
> >seems like this would be possibly a nice feature to optionally control
> >from the schematic and be fully automatic
> >if you didn't like the result you could
> >still muck about with the parts selectively
>
> Yep.  I agree.  Users have been suggesting a number of things (on the DXP
> forum) that increase the ability to control layout from sch.  Things like
> setting layers and being able to create classes (nets, components etc) in
> the sch.  Maybe some of these ideas will appear at some stage.
>
> >Orcad capture also has what i think is a new feature to v. 10:
> >a big spreadsheet type panel with all the objects across all the
> >sheets which can be sorted by their columns
> >and which can be used to globally
> >edit things reasonably simply
>
> Sort of like DXP/P2004's List panel is it?  P99SE has this but you have to
> export-change-import and this is a somewhat fiddly process.
>
> One of my dislikes about P2004 is that the List panel is always "active"
> (even if not visible).  The List panel is great when necessary but filling
> it and emptying it *might* be a cause of delays when doing queries that
> affect lots of objects - there are delays but us users are not privy to all
> the causes, I hypothesize that the List panel is one cause.  I say might as
> there is no way of confirming whether this is the case, but it is a
> possibility.
>
> However there are times when the List panel is very useful. You can sort by
> clicking on column headers.  You can edit a bunch of objects at the same
> time. You can show child objects of group objects (polygons, components
> etc).  Managing the columns that are shown could be better I think.  The
> List, like the Inspector, by default only shows columns that are common to
> all the objects returned by the current filter.  So when no filter is
> active it shows everything and so you don't have many useful columns - you
> can turn on more columns manually.
>
> The main issue I have with P2004 implementation of the List panel
> (spreadsheet view) is that keeping it up-to-date is possibly a cause of
> these pregnant pauses that one gets while running some queries/filters. I
> would like to be able to turn off the List panel so it is not having to be
> continually kept synched with the current filters.
>
> Ian

Integrated Controls, Inc.           Tel: 415-647-0480  EXT 107
2851 21st Street                    Fax: 415-647-3003
San Francisco, CA 94110             www.integratedcontrolsinc.com