That would indeed be another interesting way of doing it. The only
problem is that javascript is often used in environments where
filesize is critical. In my case, I only use ONE function from the
library, because I've found it to be th best way to achieve what I
want to do: Element.update.

But because I'm unable to sort the source code out, I have to either:

Ditch Prototype altogether (which I don't really want to do)

OR

Make use of the whole library, which is a no-go for me as the minified
+gzip version still weighs a solid 25kB (which isn't much, but still
way too much for our needs).

What bothers me here is the "one-size-fits-all" mentality, but
complaining about it sure is easy when I'm not providing any code to
fix the problem, I know it is, but still it bothers me that I'll have
to end up not using update (which is a fantastic piece of code, like
the rest of the library) just because it's so deeply intertwined with
the rest of the codebase.

What I was hinting at is something akin to what jqueryUI has on
http://jqueryui.com/download but even more fine-grained (at function
level if possible).